Sunday, September 15, 2013

Baking 101


I was bored one weekend and decided to give baking a try.  I found a very cute website www.bakehappy.net plus the recipes looked easy to follow. I practiced with the basic banana cupcake with Nutella frosting.  It was fairly easy to do, but I must add more Nutella to my frosting.  Medyo mahal siyang gawin, only because of the Nutella.  

I also stumbled upon the recipe of Magnolia Bakery basic buttercream cupcake + frosting.
Of course, I still have to perfect mine.  I improved on the self rising flour on my first try and on my second try, I found an actual self rising flour at City Super in Hongkong.  I still wound want to try baking it with the actual brands of cake flour and cake rising flour that Magnolia Bakery uses.  

Recipe for Cupcake:
1 1/4 cake flour
1 1/2 self rising flour
1 cup butter in room temperature (cut it into little one inch squares)
1/8 cup vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups confectioners sugar
4 large eggs in room temperature

-mix eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl
-mix cake flour, self rising flour and sugar in a bowl, use a mixer in the slowest mode
-add in the butter one square at a time
-mix in half of the egg/milk mix into the batter, use a mixer in medium mix mode
-mix in the last half of the egg/milk mix afterwards
-put into cupcake pan, makes 2 dozen cupcakes






Recipe for buttercream and cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup butter in room temperature
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

-cream butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer
-add in sugar one cup at a time
-mix in whole milk and vanilla
-add remaining sugar
-color your frosting with food coloring if preferred















No comments:

Post a Comment