Sunday, June 2, 2013

Breastmilk is still Best for Babies

It was my wish to be able to breastfeed my son ever since I got pregnant. We got Medela's Freestyle Pump way before giving birth to force me to really breastfeed... ang mahal eh!!! However, due to Gavin's unforeseen stay at the NICU, I was not able to latch with him or even carry him after the delivery.  On his 3rd day, a kind NICU nurse asked if I have breast milk and I told her I don't know because I have never tried expressing since I gave birth days ago.  She then taught me to hand express. Lo and behold, I was able to produce a very small amount of colostrum, probably just 10cc which she said was enough.  A day after, it increased to 20cc, to 30cc and to 40cc.



When we went home ahead of Gavin, I asked Lita Nery (+639185557565), breast feeding consultant, to teach me how.  She was heaven sent!!! Ms. Lita patiently explained the rudiments of breast feeding and that you don't really need a pump because the most natural way is to hand express it. With her help, I was able to produce the most milk I have ever produced at 2 ounces! She also showed me how to make sure that I don't suffer from mastitis, engorgement and the likes.  I was wondering if I can do it all by myself when she left.



Thankfully, it was possible to do so.  Within days, it increased to 3 ounces too!
Honestly, hand expressing is tiresome, mega effort talaga, but it does make expressing not painful at all.  I switched to the pump after a few days as my "download" increased to 4 ounces to 6 ounces in a sitting :) galing talaga! Medela's is now my best friend :)


My Night Time Bedside

It has been truly a pain in the ass to wake up every 3 hours to pump, but I know that in the long run, this is the best gift that I can give my son- good health through the years.

I hope I can sustain it even when I go back to work.  My goal is to at least feed him with my milk for the first six months.  Then, let's see how it goes from there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment