Thursday, August 29, 2013

Breastmilk Is Best For Babies

Since August is breast feeding month, I'd like to share some tips from my breast feeding experience.

1. Do not invest in bottles prior to giving birth if you seriously want to nurse.
2. Invest instead in a reliable breast pump.  
    I started with a Medela Harmony Manual Pump which broke down after two weeks.
    I them switched to a Medela Freestyle Digital Double pump.
    It was pure heaven sent.  It cut down downloading 5 ounces of milk from 30 minutes to 10.
    It was handy, it can fit into any handbag. It's chargeable so I can use it for 3 days straight.
    I can easily control the strength and power while checking on the time consumed.

3. Say no to plastic! It's very costly to keep on buying breastmilk plastic containers in zip-like form.  
    Try to get a container that fits your pump valve and can be stored in a ref or freezer too.
    This way, you can re-use it again and again.  I only used the zip like ones when I was able 
    to make A LOT of milk that my containers ran out.


4. Use two nursing covers.  When one is in the laundry, you always have another to use.
    I have two types, the Boncho which covers my front and back and a front cover only. 
    Both are very useful depending on my outfit.


5. Make sure you follow the correct storage tips.  
    Milk at Room Temperature-I usually keep it for 6 hours
    Refrigerated Milk - 3 days
    Milk inside a Freezer with separate door - 3 months
 * Do not microwave stored milk, put it in a mug with hot water instead to defrost



5. Do get the washable nipple pads instead of disposable ones.  Avent makes it and the brand, 
    Mom & Baby has the exact same one as Avent but at only 30% of the price.
6. The blue ice pack is a big help when transporting milk.  Get an insulated bag too.
7. At work, wash your valves in hot water.  You can pump while working, but be discreet about it.
    Now that my team is used to me pumping milk, they don't even notice that the pump 
    is turned on because I am properly covered and the sound isn't that loud.  
8. Prioritize, make time to pump! 
9. If needed, get in touch with a lactation consultant.  
    They will help you hurdle the hardships of the first few days of nursing.
10. Learning how to hand express is a life saver.  
    If you forget your pump at home or if there is a brown out in your area,
    you can always express milk.  Hand expressing also helps you avoid mastitis 
    because it empties your breasts completely.

Hope this helps! Don't give up when you feel like doing so.
Tomorrow is another day :) 
You can do it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment